Feed

iMovie Formats

I have been experimenting with iMovie formats now I have a couple of cameras that will record in 4K resolution. In order to render a movie in this format after importing the still photos and movie files into iMovie the first clip that is placed on the time line HAS TO BE A MOVIE CLIP in 4K otherwise this resolution is denied.
I thought that it might accept still photographs with a resolution 3840 by 2160 pixels but this is not the case. I also tried with all sorts of sizes but the only time it recognises that you may wish to render in 4K is to start with a movie clip of this resolution.
So if you want to start your movie with a still image first drag a 4K movie clip to the time line then drag the still image in front. That is enough to trigger iMovie to allow rendering in 4K.
Guess who made a movie over a couple of days using still images carefully formatted to 3840 x 2160 with inserted 4K video clips then wondered why it wouldn't render in 4K? Don't you just love the Apple way of doing things?

Re: iMovie Formats

Oh yes, reminds me of a politician many years ago who was considered to be 'too clever by half'.

Didn't you find the 'I know what I'm doing, really!' button?

If you can't find it, you have to buy Final Cut instead.

And on the same subject I've been struggling for days to assemble a soundtrack in GarageBand 10.0.6; I exported it to mp3, copied it to an external drive, fired up my old faithful running Mountain Lion, popped the soundtrack into GarageBand 6, and lo and behold, everything was a doddle! Thanks for enriching my computer experience, Apple.

Feed