Feed

possible email blockage

I have not been receiving emails from Brittany Ferries for a long time, except when I've used their 'contact us' button and asked a question, in which case I do receive a reply. Some of the bumpf they allegedly send me is obviously from an automated system, and a bloke I spoke to yesterday, who claims to have formerly worked in IT, suggested that I might have accidentally blocked it at yahoo. If this is so how can I unblock it?

Re: possible email blockage

You'd need to log in the the Yahoo webmail and check the spam folder. If the emails are there (it may be just some recent ones, older ones being deleted after a time) there will be a way to either tell Yahoo they are not spam or make the spam filter less aggressive - or both.

Related question: An increasing number of messages to my Yahoo address (from companies and mailing lists) are being directed to the junk mailbox on my iMac. Because I generally only check my mail during the day on the iPad, this means that these messages lie unseen until I check the junk mailbox on the iMac the following morning.

I've been assuming that the fact they make it to the iMac means that they got through the Yahoo filter and then fell foul of the Apple one. Is this correct? If so, how do I tell the Mac to let these messages through? I've added the addresses to my contacts which hasn't helped.

You're probably correct that they've got past Yahoo. In Mail, in the junk box, you need to highlight a message, click the "not junk" icon then move it back to the inbox. If you repeat this a few times, Mail will learn. Unless of course, it is Yahoo moving mail to the junk box. Test this by setting Mail on the iMac to only check manually and use Yahoo Webmail to check the Yahoo junk box. (Although most email providers use the term spam rather than junk so I suspect it's Mail).

However, just check what type of account you have. I'm guessing it's IMAP. If that's correct then your iMac must be checking for mail while you're not there and moving the mail to junk so your iPad can't see it. Set Mail to only check manually (i.e. when you click "Get Mail") or at least a much longer period than is currently set so you stand more chance of seeing it on your iPad.

If you have a POP account, come back!

Thanks Mick, I'll try some of this and report back. However, I've been attempting t educate the Junk filter for some time without any success. Also the 'Not junk' button seems to have been replaced by a 'move to inbox' icon for mail in the junk folder. Once in the inbox, initially the message appears to be no longer marked as junk. However, it will usually later turn brown again. Selecting it now, will show the 'not junk' icon. The upshot is that dealing with wrongly junked messages is much harder work than it used to be.

Feed