Feed

Cloudy outlook

I keep getting messages on my iPhone and iPad telling me to go t System Preferences and set up a connection to iCloud. At a recent meeting one greatly revered member rather indicated that he would not have anything to do with iCloud. Is there a consensus on this matter and, if not, what are the pros and cons? (And, by the way, my trusty delete key no longer deletes unless I take a mallet to it. Apart from not making mistakes, any helpful suggestions?

Re: Cloudy outlook

Yes Alan, this is happening to me.

My phone and my wife's iPad Mini have these messages when they are switched on, an Apple support team member advised me to keep pressing "cancel" until the message disappeared.

I intended to put this to the Dorchester meeting on Tuesday evening. Perhaps someone here might assist.

I see no harm in using your Apple id to set up an iCloud account. It's then up to you how much you entrust to it - at least it appears to be. Just depends on your level of paranoia, I suppose.

Personally, I find Photostream useful, I have a couple of spreadsheets stored in the cloud and synch contacts via the cloud. I don't backup to the cloud, use Apple Music or iCloud Photo Library. Nor do I use iCloud keychain or put my Desktop and Documents folder up there.

Whatever the pros and cons of iCloud, Apple does like users to respond to these System messages. They will particularly appear when your Mac, iPad, iPhone has been switched "off" (not just sent to sleep) or a new OS has been installed. The System is asking you to identify yourself as the secure "you".

While repeatedly clicking Cancel will eventually send the message away, a possibly more useful course is simply to enter your Apple ID and your Apple ID password. This is NOT the Admin password used to get access to your System. If you have forgotten it Apple offers a simple way to reset it.

For those of you thirsting to bring a mallet to deal with my very sticky Delete button, you will be disappointed. After a good talking to and some heavy bashes, it is now responding perfectly to my delicate digital touch. But thanks to one and all for the thought.

If you are tempted to use a cloudy storage facility and you have an Amazon Prime subscription, you already have a very large cloud storage facility at your disposal as well as access to Prime TV to see the antics of Messrs Clarkson, May and Hammond as well as other stuff.

Thanks Derek. As a Prime payer, that is a great suggeiom.

Feed