Feed

Help!

Is there anyone out there willing to help me update my IMac Snow Leopard to latest OS please?
So frustrated trying to sync my iPhone 6+ to ITunes when I realise IOS10.1.1 does not work on old ITunes stored on my Mac.
I'm willing to pay as wary of local Mac support shops unless someone can kindly recommend a reputable one.
Apple tell me I don't have to worry about partitions anymore - just get the latest update and install!!!
Guess I am after installing latest OS and someone helping me de clutter my IMac and help me make sense of it.
Many thanks!
Mary Smith

Re: Help!

As there have been about five or six OS updates since Snow Leopard, it could be that you machine is not able to run the new OS. However you will discover this when you try to download it, as it will refuse if your machine is not able to run it.

As far as de cluttering your iMac is concerned, this could jut be a matter taking the time to go through your folders etc. and deleting redundant apps and files. It can be quite therapeutic. A good start is to begin with your desktop, deleting anything that is not relevant any more and sorting what's left into appropriate subfolders in your Home folder.

The guys at Solutions (where we hold the Bournemouth meetings) seem quite competent though I have no idea what they would charge for doing such an upgrade. They have at least some oversight from Apple.

In the meantime, would you post some details of your Mac so we can assess the practicality of the update. As Lionel has said, a number of models have fallen by the wayside since Snow Leopard, though iMacs do tend to last longer. You should be able to see the model from About this Mac (Apple menu); the amount of RAM and spare hard drive space would help too.

Helen, if you like to contact me via a committee member I would be happy to give practical help.

Many thanks to you all Lionel and Tony but I am now sorted in that Euan came to the rescue and 12 hours of hard unrelenting work on his part yesterday resulted in upgrade to El Capitan then Sierra!!
I had a mass of data now on external hard drives and two partitions on my imac. Just need to sort all my files into some order- no mean task.
Thank you Euan - do hope you haven't taken to the bottle today after your mammoth task.
And thank you Lionel and Tony for your kind offers of support!! Can thoroughly recommend the Wessex Mac User group as I was ready to throw the iMac out of the window!
You can tell I know zilch about these sophisticated machines!!

Feed