Feed

Dongles in the (USB-C) Djungle

Members contemplating more dongles may find this summary (revised URL) of the good, the bad and the ugly useful.

A second reviewer with technical knowledge can be found found here.

Some of the pitfalls awaiting the unwary are discussed here

Re: Dongles in the (USB-C) Djungle

Frightening.

Am I the only pedant here? (Steps onto soap box.)

Since the launch of the new MacBook Pro with its USB-C connections, everyone (not aiming this at you Euan!) seems to be calling cables or adapters dongles! If you check the dictionary on your Mac you'll find the definition of a dongle is

a small device able to be connected to and used with a computer, especially to allow access to wireless broadband or use of protected software

I don't think cables or adapters fall within that definition. Or are my bicycle brake levers connected to the callipers on the wheels by a brake dongle?

What sort of bike is it Mick?

Yes, Mick, you are right to remark on this popular misuse. I was referencing The Tokens' well known song, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight, but language is like the Amazon (river), it grows and changes - however important precision is. The combination of precision and new usages are how English grew to be so rich a language.
< Linguistic observation ends. >

Does your bicycle have a disc brake on the front? Eric needs to know as he wisely fears crashing in the Amazon Djungle or slithering on the bank and drowning among the flesh-eating Piranhas of that region ;-)

Sadly, my bike has an old-fashioned drum brake, single leading shoe, and not terribly efficient, but I don't have to pedal it!

Mick is, of course, correct.

I once had some dongle-protected software: the dongle stuck rigidly out of its socket, making it vulnerable to damage. The vendor started giving away a short cable known as a Dongle Dangler. Apple's adaptors look much like dangled dongles.

BTW Euan's first link doesn't work here.

For some reason I couldn't get the "Link - with title" facility here to work on the 11th, although making an exact copy of the URL above does bring up the Wikipedia page ok. Anyway everything seems to be working better today, so for the furtherance of cultural pursuits here is the link properly presented:
'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'

One version of the song is here

I bought the Karl Denver version but I can't believe it was that long ago!

Tony, I hope the adjusted "this summary" URL will work better now. Sorry for inconvenience!

Aficionados of "the Lion Sleeps Tonight" may like the original Zulu version Mbube a version of which is sung by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Check it out on the iTunes store.

Here's some more about the MacBook Pro and the dongle thing. This time it's the Universality Thing.

Feed