Feed

iPod

Hello Folks,

At work when I connect my iPod to my Panasonic stereo using a 3.5mm mini jack to 2 RCA audio cable the sound only comes out of one of the two speakers. If you swap the audio cable over the sound comes out of the other speaker. Does this prove that the problem is in my iPod earphone connection? That seems to be the problem. A bad connection is what some of my work colleagues say.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean out any debris or rubbish that might have gotten in there?

I don't want to push in a cotton bud or a micro screwdriver so should I take it to an apple store and have them take it apart and clean it?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Graham

Re: iPod

it doesn't prove it but it's likely. It could be a fault in one channel of the cable

Hello Mick,

Thanks for your reply - I have brought home my iPod and radio, tried it with another cable and we still have the same problem. So does that confirm the problem is in the iPod connection?

Graham

Hi Graham. If it isn't the cable it might be something in the cable connector socket. On the off-chance that this story may help (and to ease the pain if it doesn't) here is the Google translation of a successful solution to a perhaps similar issue. Read the story through to the end where the solution is described.

> http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Her-reparerer-tannlegen-Reidars-iPad-og-sparer-ham-for-3500-kroner-7526873.html <

Norwegian Dentist removes silica gel ball from iPad socket:

Sometimes it does not work the day as expected. It was definitely not for the dentist Helle Nyhuus and her two assistants on "Dental Clinic" when they received an unexpected patient; an iPad.
- 3500 crowns from the dealer
The reason was that the headset connector on the iPad Reidar Bjørnlid had become impossible to use the last days. Long before he at all thought of going to the dentist, went Bjørnlid went straight to the dealer to see if there was a mechanical failure.
- The clerk called into the hole with the same instrument as the doctor looks into your ear with. He said that the innermost part of the hole was blocked by a silicagelkule. He told me to check in the small handy pouch / stand I keep my iPad in, and sure enough, there lay a small pile of these spheres, together with the remains of a small bag. Where have they been since the iPad and the bag was new!
The moisture absorbing balls have been there for a year. The price tag to remove one bullet came in 3500 dollars, said the retailer, according Bjørnlid.
- It is the same price to replace the glass, they said there was no other way to do it. It seems I was too expensive, he said.
Then he began to think about alternative solutions.
The dentist, the solution
- First I thought if I could go back a mechanical workshop, but there are not many of them left in the city. I tried to push a needle down, but the ball would not topple on them. So I thought - who have small appliances and instruments? Dentists!
He rode straight away to "Dental Clinic" to hear.
- The young assistants were very friendly and eager to help. Then the dentist out to help. She said, "This we'll do up", and then she jumped up in the dentist chair with the iPad and magnifying spectacles, he said.
- They did a pretty fun gimmick out of it where they said, "Sister, give me the needle, sister, give me super glue, sister, give me 80 Hedstrom file."

"Operated" with ultrasound
- I thought he was here thinking outside the box, so it's all glory to Reidar. When we first found out how to get it, the ball out for a few minutes, says dentist Helle Nyhuus.
The dentist and assistants experimented with the various solutions, including instant adhesives.
They worked well in twenty minutes before they finally found a suitable instrument to remove the bullet: A thin ultrasonic instrument used to break up plaque. The vibrations of the instrument did the bullet exploded the tiny particles.

- It was really fun to find a solution to this. He was a little shy and embarrassed. It was nice to be able to help. It is he who remembered that this could be a solution, she says.
- Some time it is possible to not think about money, it is possible to help people. I think it was really fun to succeed with that, we managed to remove the bullet, she says.

Question is, are you on good enough terms with a UK Dentist to persuade them to try this? Good luck, and let us know what transpires.

Feed