Feed

Suspected spam

Emails have started to arrive, sometimes 2 or 3 daily with this heading: Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] How to find exciting DSL Internet options. They are from: DSL <[undisclosed email]> and the reply address is: [undisclosed email]. There is an 'unsubscribe' button at the base of the emails so is it safe to do that?

Re: Suspected spam

Just delete them, and make sure you empty them from your Mail trash too. If you "unsubscribe" the sender has confirmation that your email address is active -- not a good move if the email contains malware which it probably does.

"DSL" is the Internet technology that allows voice and digital signals to co-exist (with filters) on your phone line (better known as ADSL) probably used in these emails to make the subject sound familiar and useful.

Many thanks Euan. Have now deleted all.

Hi,

Unfortunately, before I read this, I have "Unsubscribed", is there anything that I can do to save myself from this "Misdemeanour"?

Your assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Drew

Hi Drew. Not a lot you can do that's useful except to be vigilant, and, as we all should, make sure that you are using good passwords:
At least eight (preferably 12) mixed lower and uppercase letters, numbers and punctuation marks. No dictionary words or names in any likely language. Avoid known things such as birthday dates and family pets. Avoid transpositions such as &=8, E=3 etc.

Use different passwords for different sites.

Make sure that you safely record and can recover if you forget the passwords, and that includes your family should you become unwell or worse. Good password manager software can help.

Feed