Feed

Why my shaver went flat - beware of 'intelligent' Reminders!

I used to have a six weekly reminder on iCal to charge my shaver. When the Reminders app came along, I dutifully switched all my reminders over to that. At the time, it wasn't possible to set intervals as indiosyncratic as six weekly, so I settled for monthly. This was a long time ago and all has been well - until this morning when I found a stone cold flat shaver.

On investigation, I find that, according to Reminders, the shaver was due to be charged tomorrow. It is pretty old so I concluded that the battery must be ageing and it might be time to shorten the interval between charges. But wait, Reminders says I have set a 'custom' interval. When I look at the detail, this interval is 'every month which has 29 days'!?
Needless to say, I never set any such interval but tomorrow is the 29th so this appears to be Apple's 'intelligent' interpretation of a monthly reminder which happens to have been set up on the 29th, the upshot being that I had no reminder in February.

I would hope that, since whenever they introduced the facility to set such bizarre intervals, an attempt to set up a monthly reminder late in the month would generate a warning before interpreting the request in such an unlikely fashion, but I haven't tried it.

The good news is that at least the shaver battery is clearly still in rude health, having almost made it through the second month.

Re: Why my shaver went flat - beware of 'intelligent' Reminders!

I charge my shaver when it starts to feel slow

It seemed fine the previous day, then refused to run at all the next morning. I clearly don't pay enough attention when shaving!

Can't beat a Bic! No electricity, no problem!

Feed