Feed

DVD Drive sharing

The DVD drive on my Mac Book Pro has packed up working. How do you set up CD sharing from an iMac to a laptop, both computers are running Snow Leopard. I have ticked CD/DVD sharing in the iMac Preferences but the laptop does not show Remote Disc in Devices.

Re: DVD Drive sharing

What is it you're trying to do Doug? If it's copy files you could start the laptop in target disc mode (Cmd-T at startup) and use a firewire connection to copy.

Hi Doug, Mick offers the simplest solution for file copying, use it if copying is what you want to do (and probably almost everything else).

If you do need to share a CD/DVD you might go to Apple Support and look at the early MacBook Air manual:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1580/en_US/macbook_air_13inch_mid2011_ug.pdf and read pages 15-18 (it's about the same OSX vintage).

I need to use the DVD drive to set up a new printer but it kept ejecting the disc, the disc worked on the iMac so I wanted to use that drive to install the drivers on the laptop. I managed to do it by putting the disc image on a USB key drive.

For installing a printer I'd have been inclined to connect it to the laptop (cable or wirelessly as appropriate) and see if Apple supplies the drivers or go to the manufacturer's web site to see if they have a more up-to-date one than supplied on the CD - they often do!

The new way is the enclosed DVD takes you to the Epson web site and you indicate how you wish to connect to the printer USB or Wireless and it downloads the right drivers for you and installs them.

Feed