Feed

connection problem

My router keeps disconnecting from the internet. I follow the procedures i.e. blah blah blah...please restart the device....and eventually all is well again. Could this be connected to the fact that I've seen BT working on the phone lines in my area today?

Re: connection problem

I also have a connection problem at times so will be interested in replies. In my case it seems that connection is lost when a neighbour uses his connection which is a BT line. I have to go into System Prefs - Network and change the Network back to mine. Then I am back online. Not a great problem but I would like to have a stable connection.

Hi Eric and Roy,
apart from BT engineers and line faults, sometimes routers just start to fail. If you have an old one (3-4 years plus?) it may be time to renew it. Otherwise there are several things you can do to clarify your two situations before talking to your ISP

BT supplies the “lines” (copper wires) into Roy’s house, but do you use BT as an ISP? It may be that there is an issue with BT’s “piggy-back connect anywhere” facility, or possibly the channel your router is using is conflicting with a nearby same or overlapping channel — or even (Oh Woe!) that someone has got direct access to your router (Use a really secure password and WPA 2 or better, never WEP).

To sort out the BT “piggyback” you may find that re-ordering your network locations helps:
Go to
System Preferences > Network > Advanced…
and you may find “BT Anywhere” (this is from memory, I don’t use BT as an ISP) at the top of the list. Change the order of your list so that BT Anywhere is down near, or at, the bottom of the list and your router is at the top.

Otherwise a start would be to open “Wireless Diagnostics” (from OSX Lion onwards) by keeping the option/alt key pressed when clicking on your wireless connection icon on the top menu bar (the smeary windscreen wiper). You will see your channel number greyed out, and down at the bottom you will see the Diagnostics sub-menu.

You can read this .html page from MacWorld to learn how to use the utility (which is buried in System > Library > Core Services):
http://www.macworld.com/article/2010028/troubleshoot-your-wireless-network-with-wi-fi-diagnostics.html

To change channels so you aren’t using one the same as, or overlapping with, a close neighbour talk to your ISP support, or look up the exact router model number on line, and download the manual which will give you the access method. If you are using, say, channel 8, and so is a near neighbour, try changing to channel 6 or 10 if they are unused by other near neighbours. Some of the pricier routers emit very strong signals these days, so channel conflicts can be significant.

Please note: at all times be cautious, talking to your ISP may be the best thing to do.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you Euan, in fact my problem seems to be over, temporarily at least, but its good to have this info on the site for future reference. Over to you, Roy.

Thank you Euan. BT is not my ISP but a neighbour uses BTOpenzone on one side of our flat and on another side BTHomeHub is in use whilst there is yet another network showing as WLan in the list of networks in System Prefs. My network name is the top one. Since reading your reply I have un-ticked "Remember networks this computer has joined" and un-ticked "Create computer-to-computer networks. All in "Advanced". I hope this doesn't affect my local network with iPad and laptop connections in our flat. I will monitor these changes and report results. Thanks again. Roy.

Since un-ticking the two items mentioned above I have not had any problems with the network connection over the past two days. Thanks again to Euan for the comments which 'nudged' me into the Advanced settings which I hadn't checked. Roy.

Apple's Wireless Diagnostics also checks for the "best" (least used locally) channels in your area. OSXDaily has the know-how here.

As ever, proceed cautiously, and remember that if looking at Wireless Diagnostics stalls your browser, just cycle the WiFi on/off.

I'd like to add a caveat to Euan's last post.

I'm using Apple's Airport Extreme to broadcast my wireless network and an Airport Express set to extend it but I anticipate you finding a similar "result" if you're using other manufacturer's gear.

A scan shows me the best channels to use are either 1 or 11 (currently using 6) If I change to 1 and scan again, it now shows the best channels are 6 and 11. Similarly, changing to 11, subsequent scans show 1 and 6. In short, you may already be using one of the best channels. (The Airport Express in Extend mode does not allow channel changes but seems to follow the Extreme)

However, and this may be most useful, the scan will also show your neighbours' networks and which channel they use. Make sure you use a different one.

Thanks Euan and Mick for more info. Interesting but, dare I admit this, I must - I am not yet on Mavericks! Consequently I don't have the bundled wi-fi scanner app mentioned.
Since taking the action above I haven't had a connection problem and I have locked the settings in Network System Prefs. However I may be under an illusion that this solved the problem because my neighbour, who has the network which was overriding mine, has been away since the settings were changed. I will see if the problem returns when he returns.

Feed