Feed

What has happened to Safari?

I don't like it; every page has been shunted to the right to leave room for a so-called reading list. I can no longer grab the page at the top and move it around the screen. I've downloaded nothing to my knowledge; has Mavericks done this to me?

Re: What has happened to Safari?

I just downloaded Firefox, which seems more bearable.

The problem must be with Mavericks; the menu bar at the top of the page now behaves as the dock did in Mountain Lion i.e. invisible until you poke the cursor up there. Very irritating.

Grrrrrrrrrr...unless you click on the two opposed arrows at the top right, whereupon the page shrinks a bit and you can see the red, amber and green buttons again, and the menu bar behaves itself.

Not sure what's been going on for you Eric - it sounds as if you have been in full screen mode - esc will get you out of it and back to the desktop with Safari at whatever size you want, dots, tabs and the ability to dismiss the reading list by clicking the book symbol on the left under the back arrow.

Further to Mark’s sensible response:

1. This applies also to Bookmarks and other side-shunts in Mavericks.

2. It’s a matter of taste, Safari is a good deal faster and (potentially) better for battery life.

3. This is standard behaviour for all Applications running in full screen view, just return to normal view by pressing 'esc' (Escape) or as you describe in your point 4.

4. Quite so. This is the non-Full Screen view common to all Applications.

Thank you both, Gentlemen. In fact I've never intentionally been in Full Screen view, and pressing Esc. did not work. I had to force quit the damn thing every time hoping it would right itself when I went back in; but it didn't. Ho hum.

Hi Eric ,I am using the latest version of Safari, but in Lion, not Mavericks. To leave full screen view if Esc. does not work try moving your cursor up to the top of the screen and the menu bar with the full screen arrows showing which you can click and return to normal view. You can also get rid of the side bar by going to the View menu.

Thanks Lionel,

at the moment Firefox seems to suit me better, but I shall bear your suggestion in mind.

I'm not looking forward to the Maverick safari if this problem is still causing frustration. At the last meeting someone asked me why I use Firefox. Perhaps there are fit reasons to use other browsers.

The compatibility issue with Google’s Mail software and several Mail peripheral bugs have been fixed with Apple’s “Mail” update (App Store > Updates).

However there seems to be an incompatibility problem with Google Drive which (may) be fixed by trashing
> com.google.keystone.agent.plist <
As preference files (.plist) recreate themselves if their app is used this may be a very temporary fix, in which case don’t use Google Drive for the time being to see if that helps.

I have had no significant problems with Mavericks here, and don’t use Google Drive, for whatever that’s worth… Mavericks was installed on a clean (erased) partition followed by migrating files from the Mountain Lion partition.

If you find the > com.google.keystone.agent.plist < on your drive and this works, please let us know. A fix may appear with the upcoming 10.9.1 Update which is currently on test with developers.

Feed