Feed

Mavericks free-d, and free updates to your iWork apps

For the first time Apple’s presentation was streamed from the Yerba Buena Centre as it happened. One or two minor pauses, but no serious glitches. You can watch the presentation here: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/.

I downloaded the (free) Mavericks OSX upgrade when it appeared on the UK App Store about an hour after Apple’s Presentation ended. The 5.3 Gb Download was very slow to start (look in your Applications folder for 'Mavericks' or 'Install OSX Mavericks' for the progress bar on the icon) so, resigned to a long wait, I went about other activities. Half an hour later the installer was right there ready to go. Installation on a freshly erased partition was a breeze, and data import from the Mountain Lion partition was entirely smooth with just two minor utilities failing the compatibility filter.

This morning the App store offered free updates to the latest versions of the iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, GarageBand, plus the iWork apps (Numbers, Pages, Keynote).

Bliss… Thank you Apple.

What's your experience?

Re: Mavericks free-d, and free updates to your iWork apps

Hi Euan my experience in installing was good ..what is immediately obvious for me is a black rectangle that is tracking my curser ..so the curser is surrounded by a large rectangle that won't allow the curser out of it and that is worse than irritating. Before I say anymore has anyone else got this when they have installed Mavericks ?? maybe it is a glitch just for me ? I am running 10.7.5 or I was before I upgraded. Help in removing this alien object would be most welcome

Tom

I think this maybe a mouse issue ..Ive just mailed the folk who I use for configuring my mouse for some help ..will update you when I hear back.

Brave Euan and thanks for the account.

Sadly, I don't have a spare partition to breeze into so I would like to hear the experience folk have of downloading Mavericks when their iMac has just one partition with Mountain Lion (like me). I am tempted to rush in but I'd rather let others do the heavy lifting and tell me how it was for them.

Upgraded from Lion on my MacBook (the Mac Pro is a 2006 so not officially supported, I probably won't jump through the hoops needed to upgrade on that one) last night. I tend to keep the important stuff duplicated across the machines & multiple backups so took a chance and just ran it. Rather slow, but worth it I think- early reviews like the very comprehensive one at Ars Technica highlight a lot of the key features are of particular benefit to laptops. They're not wrong. It would be worth paying for :)

Updated yesterday - slow business to get everything done but no problems.
Changes where-ever I look - thought I lost the ability to draw an arrow in Preview but found it in a different place together with new possibilities - guess there will be lots like that.
Mick will be walking us around Mavericks at the Dorchester meeting on ... can't quite make the date out any more in Calendar - too small - ah! got it! the 12th November!

I have updated to Mavericks on my iMac by installing over Mountain Lion with no trouble whats so ever. Like all the things about it

Solved the Calendar font size - with the application open press cmd + as many time as needed.

Do we need to get a new version of Onyx to match Mavericks ?

Hi Euan. I had the same watching / downloading experience except I didn't understand what was going on but finished up in the same good place. From a company that shows such good sense and style in their products what makes them collectively think that a dark shirt and denim jeans invariably looks good? I see they've taken on the head of Burberry recently so things may improve and, who knows, we may see some women in that role!

I've missed a couple of OS upgrades so it was nice to get a free one. Didn't realise I must manually, thru' iTunes, update iPhoto etc.

The worst I've found so far is that in Mail I not only see the sender and subject but the first words of the message like a txt. This is much too distracting and I must find a way to turn it off!

I've been sitting on the pot about which iPad since February and now I must decide. The new iPad overcomes my problem with the weight and looks good value cf the mini. However I think I'll go with largish screen in v. small box and get the mini when I've the chance to 'feel the width' in mid-Nov?

Good evening Gentlemen,
Having just taken delivery of my 'new' Mac Pro, which has a clean installation of Mountain Lion, it occurs to me that this is the ideal opportunity to upgrade it to Mavericks. do any of you agree with me?

I would go ahead and update at the first opportunity,and enjoy it

Thank you Douglas, particularly for the 'it'. I'll do it tomorrow when I've got a few hours to spare!

Well, I've sort of done it, I think, possibly, or more probably, not. For there, in the dock sitting next to the trash can (I can speak American when I try hard) sits my hard drive icon; and there in my Applications folder sits the Mavericks installer: giving me a LOOK; and not just any old look, a sneering, supercilious look, a look that in the army would have it charged with dumb insolence, a look that says, "You, a human being, supposedly more intelligent than a mere machine, you don't know what to do with me, do you? And I'm just going to sit here quietly looking and sneering until you DO something, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha". Double clicking the little bounder has no discernible effect, and neither does restarting the Mac.

Hello Folks,

I have upgraded my iMac to Mavericks tonight and everything went smoothly.

The download took 1 hour 5 mins on a Saturday evening which is quite good I think.

Then restarted and installed which took about 40 minutes.

Will be interesting to play around with it over the next few days and see how I get on with it.

My advice would be upgrade and enjoy it. It really is very simple to do.

Graham

Yes, yes, it's done it! After refusing to obey me three times last night it submitted to my superior will. The extra hour in bed must have brought it to it's senses. Took forty minutes to install. I thought it was going to be thirty five when the progress bar said 'less than a minute' but that last minute turned out to contain three hundred seconds. Yes!

Installed it this morning, I have Virgin cable, just 12 minutes to download and install 5.3 GB..... only thing I noticed was it put the Mavericks wave on the desktop instead of my favourite picture, fixed now.

like new maps and calendar, matches IOS 7 look and feel, Labels have become Tags in the left Nav bar of finder windows... Finally a unified Keychain..... and my all time favourite, probably the most useful feature in YEARS for me, Tabbed finder windows. Haleyyyyy-frigging-looooooooooyah

Do you mean tagged Gordon?
That change in Finder looks really useful - particularly the ability easily to change the name of the tags. It means I must get better organised! I don't find the blobs as easy to spot as the title background was.
Or do you mean tabs which I can't find?

Oops - pardon Gordon - found them - now I have to get my head round how I might find them useful!

Feed