Feed

USB turntable

Santa brought me one of these, and its jolly good. The software however, isn't.
When you record each track you inevitably record some measure of silence before the music starts and again after it finishes, and when you've finished recording several tracks the program exports the lot to iTunes, with periods of silence before and after each track. When you burn a CD it thus contains many periods of silence which is very tedious. Is there a cheapish program which will give me a visual representation of recorded tracks and allow me to crop off the duff bits?

Re: USB turntable

Eric, I have managed to do this in Garageband. I recall it being a bit tedious but that could well be down to me not being familiar with the program. Also from what I have read, you may well be able to do it in the latest version of iMovie (in iLife 11) but, not having upgraded yet, I can't confirm that.

Have fun.

Garageband should do this easily. Drop the file straight from the turntable (if you can) into GB and place the marker after the first silence and use Split Track. Highlight the silent part and delete. Repeat at the other end. Export to iTunes. If you can't stop the software exporting straight to iTunes you could export from there, trim, import it back then delete the untrimmed version.

Thank you, Trevor and MIck; I suspected GB would do it, but I hadn't worked out how. I'll have a go when I've got a few hours to spare in the afternoons.

Hi Eric, was this successful?

Hi Andrew,

I'm ashamed to say that after all the excellent advice I was given, I must have found some other way to fill my time. I'd forgotten all about it!

I would, however, like to wish you good luck.

Feed