Feed

New iPad for Sister-in-law

Am about to be inundated with questions from my sister-in-law about her new iPad. (She hasn’t dared opened the box yet).
Being a bachelor and therefore owner of just one Apple ID, I wonder what are the advantages of having one for husband and one for wife not that either buy anything over the internet and the family apple mini is backed up locally. (I see the advantages of two email addresses.)
If anyone can give me the pitfalls of setting up an additional device when husband and wife share one computer I would be grateful. I do not know, but will enquire, whether they have separate logins on the mac. Presumably if they do they cannot share a common address book.

Re: New iPad for Sister-in-law

I come across this a lot. Generally I say to have separate Apple IDs - one partner keeps the existing one and the other sets up a new one. This is most relevant if one or other has work/tennis club etc. contacts that the other doesn't want.

It's very easy for each to subscribe to the other's diary and if they have joint contacts at present they can be exported as an archive from one user and imported by another. (I usually advise separate accounts on the Mac too.)

Contact me if you want more help.

I have this opportunity (problem) as well, the nearest solution I have found is documented here

Sharing name address books etc

I have not been able to share notes across two Apple ids apart from using Yojimbo.

Good luck

ditto - My wife and I have separate Apple IDs and separate accounts on my iMac and wife's iPad and MacBook. However, my Safari 'Favourites' on the iMac and my iPad appear on wife's iPad and MacBook. We would like separate Safari 'Favourites'. Wondering how to arrange this? Somehow we have managed to have separate 'Contacts' but I can't remember how this was done!

My guess would be that your favourites appeared on your wife's devices before you had separate IDs. Is this possible? Try adding another favourite to yours - does it appear on hers? Vice versa? If they don't sync, just delete the favourites on the devices where they're not wanted.

Contacts will stay separate with separate IDs.

Have checked the sync as suggested Mick. The new favourite added to my iMac does appear on my wife's iPad and on her MacBook. Also, I was wrong re Contacts which I find now are the same on all devices. I would like to break the sync.
Apologies to Rick for coming into this thread but hope something of interest comes from the added comments.

Thanks for all your input. I'll talk to my sister-in-law and see what she wants to achieve. Brother in hospital at the moment so she doesn't have much spare time (or perhaps she has more spare time!)

We have separate IDs and I think that's preferable (eg more iCloud storage). We do share a number of things, we even have a shared calendar so we can meet each other sometimes 😍.

I persuaded my sis-in-law to have her own ID. Unfortunately both she and my brother live off line when it comes to money; no transactions on the internet, no internet banking etc. This means without registering a card with Apple she is unable to download even free Apps from the Apple store like BBC iPlayer which she was hoping to do.
She is now having to re-think her policy of non-disclosure of card details to third party companies.

If you type this into your web browser there is some useful information there showing you how to do it
how do you set up an Apple account without a credit card

Thanks I'll try it when next I go and see them

Feed