Feed

Widescreen photos on IOS

Hi! The standard camera app on IOS does not seem to support the widescreen (18:9) photo shape. Can anyone suggest a work around (without having to post-crop). Or is there an alternative app that would do the job?
Thanks
Richard

Re: Widescreen photos on IOS

My guess would be that like any camera, even high end DSLRs, you have a light receiving chip with pixels in a given pattern - 16:9, 4:3 etc. You cannot vary the chip layout but it may be possible to use just part of it but that would be the same as post-cropping except that it would be "cropped" automatically for you. For example, my SE shoots 4032 by 3024 which is 4:3. To change that to 16:9 would mean cropping the vertical to 2268. (Would the camera discard pixels from the top, bottom or equally from both?) At least, doing it yourself gives you the choice!

If you have lots to do or even need to do it to a few shots but on a regular basis, I'm sure you could set up an Automator script or use a program like Affinity Photo which will crop and retain the crop settings so it's a simple one click operation (I think!)

Thanks Mick. Yes, I would expect the phone to crop the image as the photo is taken, showing the shot on the screen as it will appear afterwards. Yes you loose some pixels, but I am happy with that. This is how my previous Android phone worked.

The advantage of this is that there is no post production and the photos look great on the TV which is how they are generally viewed.

A photographer happy to sacrifice pixels! There's a first.

Photographer? Nah, he's just an engineer looking to save himself a bit of work - perfectly normal.

Take the picture on the iPhone using the Pano function and generate a wide image from the start.

They're 4:3 cameras. I'm afraid that imagination and cropping have to make up the difference.

There is a philosophical point that most pictures are naturally neither 4:3 nor 16:9, nor indeed the 3:2 of most (all?) DSLRs. So cropping is a photographer's lot (and not a happy one).

I think we see the world as a circle/disc. This makes cropping difficult with most editors! Any one know where I can find a circular TV?

Ironic, isn't it, that cameras see circles too. The lenses are round, it's only the sensor/film that's a rectangle and that crops the circle you wanted.

For info: I am using the app ' SimpleCam' which meets the widescreen requirement and does little else- which is fine.

I love the way the discussion has veered off.
-My contribution is that the world seen by humans tends to have all the details of interest across the horizontal and less vertically, hence the popularity of very widescreen formats in cinemas.

For shots of buildings I would revert to 4:3 in portrait mode.

Feed