Feed

Links leading to Yahoo

Recently I find that when I click on a link to a Web page, in Mail, it opens Safari on "uk.search.yahoo.com", not showing the page linked. There is just the empty search box and a blank page. However if I carefully click the edge line of the search box, not easy to position correctly, a list of ten previously visited Web pages appears below the search box. In that list is the page that I want and I have to click that to bring up the page. Before Yahoo started to appear I just clicked the link in Mail and I was quickly on the Web page required.
How do I stop Yahoo appearing? Can't see anything relevant in System Prefs or Mail Prefs.
Using iMac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mail v 11.5, Safari v 12.0.3

Re: Links leading to Yahoo

On checking Safari prefs again, I found an extension called Search Manager. I uninstalled that and find that I am back to normal when clicking links! That’s a relief!

Are you aware of how you downloaded/installed Search Manager?

No idea how it got there.

Maybe you clicked on a link in an email :)

Ah ah, that could be so. Have done lots of clicking recently due to problems emailing from iPhone. Using TalkTalk, iCloud and Gmail but not Yahoo.

There are an awful number of sites now which you may go to for a legitimate download but when you get there you are presented with a large, often green, download button. In small text beside it which you are meant to miss it tells you you are about to download Mac Keeper or some other “nasty” - perhaps Search Manager. (Your desired download will be hidden away somewhere with a much smaller button!)

There seems a good chance that the unwanted extension got in like that. Thanks for the warning Mick. Must be more watchful in future.

Feed