Feed

iPhone 4s not making calls

After replacing the battery on my old iPhone 4s it's working! That is, on the internet via my local network for Mail and Safari but I can't send phone calls from it. There is a strong wireless signal. Have checked the settings against my iPhone SE, which makes calls and one difference is that the 4s has no 'Client ID' showing. Is this a password from my Provider, TalkTalk, or Carrier, Virgin?

Re: iPhone 4s not making calls

When you say "strong wireless signal", is that from your network or your WiFi signal? What do you see when you turn off WiFi?

You could try removing and reinserting the SIM card, looking for your mobile network name to appear at the top of the display.

Thanks Tony. The 'strong signal' is from my home network, through which I can 'surf'/browse and send emails but not make calls. When I go outside there is no signal at all. It says, "No Service". I plan to visit Virgin in Bournemouth later today, where I bought the SIM card last month and see what they say.

Roy, just wait a while. When I did Mary’s I seem to remember there was a long delay before the phone service resumed. I can’t remember whether we shut it down and rebooted it, but no further intervention was required.

Thanks Trevor. I don't know if by chance the phone service has been resumed, as you say but this morning, away from our flat, the phone was working! So I didn't visit Virgin. It could be that nowhere in our flat is there a 3G signal but there is on my iPhone SE. (different carrier). Without a signal for the 4s my wife will be unable to send text messages from the flat. So part of my query has been solved but the other thing is that the 4s is not picking up my home network which the SE does to make phone calls from the iPhones within our flat.

I'm not sure if Virgin offer wi-fi calling (other carriers do) which is designed to use your wi-fi network when the mobile signal is poor. The SE can take advantage of this if offered, the 4S cannot.

Can the 4S see your home network?

The 4s has the usual fan shape in bold at the top left of the screen and in Settings - Wi-Fi there is a tick against TalkTalk. I assume this means that it can see the home network.

It seems that it could be Virgin not offering wi-fi calling because the 4s is like an iPad without a SIM card. ie. I can send emails and browse the web on it. Therefore not a serious problem since we have a landline but it could have been a back-up phone. I will check with Virgin.

iPhone SE has a lot more radios than a 4s, it can use frequencies that the 4s cannot. That could explain it.

For WiFi calling, Mick's point is the critical one: the 4s doesn't support it (the SE is new enough that it does).

Thanks Mick and Tony for pointing out the limitations of the 4s. I can live with those now that I have a better understanding of them.

Feed