Feed

macOS Mojave

D’yer like it? Yesterday as macOS Mojave reached Public Beta 1, the redoubtable Jason Snell and Dan Moren have published a concise and positive review of the fresh features.

Waiting for the actual Autumn release is a sensible choice for most - but perhaps you like to share your thoughts about Mojave features?

Re: macOS Mojave

Stacking where similar desktop files can be placed together (similar to a real desktop) is something I will definitely be using and Services where the automation features of the Mac is something with which I will experiment (although I cannot think of a repetitive task which is suitable at the moment)

May I reinforce Euan's comment about waiting for the formal release. Beta copies are known to contain errors and should not be used on your main machine (or any machine doing 'proper' work). Apple's take on this is here.

Given that 32bit apps will not run in Mojave (so we are told) it might be well worth treasuring the current OS so that older apps that may not get updated can continue to run.

Pronunciation:

Some would have us pronounce it mow-har-vay and if you're one who habitually pronounces the capital of France as par-ee then that's fine. If however like most Brits the capital of France is par-iss then our new OS should definitely be mow-jay-v ;-)

As someone who pronounced an older OS Yoss-e-might I'll probably call this one Mow-jayve (like Motown)

I'm with you Mick, remember we're British.

Derek: Mojave (rather than High Sierra) is to be cherished as the last macOS to run 32-bit apps, Mojave's successors will be 64-bit only.

In 1950 James Stewart enjoyed the companionship of an imaginary 6' rabbit or pooka-hobgoblin called 'Harvey'; so there we are, nothing new under this intense desert sun and it's way too hot to jive.

Re pronunciation - pronounce it as it is pronounced in its home state.

Re Paree and Paris, the Brits had the Paris bit for years, whereas Mohave is new on the scene - most of the worlds population have never been to the Mojave desert.

I once worked with a person called Haysus (but spelt Jesus) not at all an uncommon name in the US and the Spanish world.

One had to be careful with some expletives

No doubt they mean it as a compliment but it seems shocking to me.

Feed