Feed

Upgraded to El Capitan on route to High Sierra, now struggling to update apps

I finally bit the bullet and started the operating system upgrade process. Until yesterday I had been on Snow Leopard (10.6.8), and overnight I upgraded to El Capitan. I decided to upgrade my apps before trying to move onto High Sierra, and that's when I started to hit problems. I went into the App Store, picked up updates, discovered there were two, one for iPhoto, and the other for a list of different applications, hit update all, put in my Apple ID and password, got the security code and keyed it in, but then got the following message:
Update Unavailable with This Apple ID
This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

I'm at a loss. It is my Apple ID and definitely not bought by a different user though I have had to change my password from the original one I had. As for refunds or cancellations the only thing that springs to mind is that I had to take my Mac in for a repair. It had completely stopped working due to a mother board issue, but the work was done for free within the 6-year rule. This probably has no bearing whatsoever, but who knows....

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated; I have no idea where to go next on this one.

Re: Upgraded to El Capitan on route to High Sierra, now struggling to update apps

I think these problems are most likely due to the age of the versions you are trying to update.

For iPhoto, I saw this problem too and I assume it is because Apple expects that you'll be using Photos on El Capitan. I don't think (others may correct me) that iPhoto will even work on El Capitan. Photos had a rough start in life and you may need to move on even from El Capitan to get to a version with all the features yo want.

For the other applications, are you sure they were purchased through the App Store (it only appeared late in Snow Leopard's life)? If the apps were bought outside the App Store (probably directly from the individual developers), they can't be updated through the App Store unless you repurchase them. You should be able to get updates from their respective developers.

Re: Upgraded to El Capitan on route to High Sierra, now struggling to update apps

The very latest version of iPhoto (9.6.1) did indeed run on El Capitan and will still run on High Sierra, but it's no longer available from the app store. That could be the reason for the message even though it's suggesting a different reason. If you contact Apple, they may be able to point you to that version but as it's no longer supported (and I haven't checked what does or doesn't work in HS) you'd be better off using Photos as Tony suggests.

Did all the other apps update OK?

I've updated Firefox myself (but then I downloaded that myself as well). Struggling to update Skype, but might try deinstalling that and starting again. Will check through other apps and see whether updates have worked. What I will say is that Photos is installed as part of the upgrade to El Capitan (and I can't see iPhoto any more), so that is possibly encouraging. My intention is to move to High Sierra as soon as possible to take advantage of better functionality. As far as I can see my 2011 iMac should be OK with it.

I've recently worked through this upgrade with someone. We upgraded to El Capitan (as you have to - well, not necessarily El Capitan as you need an interim upgrade - you can't go straight to High Sierra from Snow Leopard) but didn't bother about updating any apps until we'd moved to High Sierra.

It was a bit of a shock to her system (sic!) but she's getting used to it quite quickly. You have the advantage of having seen something of High Sierra at meetings - she'd no idea!

Skype can be downloaded from skype.com although you may struggle to find an old version to work on El Capitan.

I've actually had a bit more success today, although it's slow progress when your download speed is between 2 and 3 MB! I've successfully updated:
Remote desktop client update ver 3.9.3
iTunes ver 12.7.3
Digital camera RAW compatibility update ver 6.2.1
Mac App Store update for El Capitan
Security update 2018-001 10.11.16
Thuderbolt firmware update 1.2
HP printer software update 5.1
Safari 11.0.3

iPhoto remains outstanding, but reading the blurb about what it does makes me think that the update is irrelevant anyway. It says:
Improves compatibility when migrating iPhoto libraries to the new Photos app in the OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (available this spring).
That would have been spring 2015 as the date of the update is 19/3/2015.
Isn't El Capitan more recent than Yosemite? Also I've pulled my photos into the Photos App and although it doesn't exactly look pretty or neat, they're there and complete as far as I can see.
Maybe I'll wait to update Skype until I upgrade to High Sierra.
Perhaps I was feeling a bit tired yesterday. I ought to know to switch the computer off, leave it for a bit (preferrably overnight), have a nice glass of wine, go to bed, and start again the following day. Nothing like a computer to wind you up when it doesn't want to play ball!
PS regarding download speeds, it took me over 6 hours to download El Capitan! That's my little road in Ford for you!

I upgraded from El Capitan to HS two days ago on my mid 2010 iMac and no problems, so far! Apps seem to open and respond slightly more slowly but I could be wrong. My main reaction to HS is what are the improvements? Jola mentions taking advantage of better functionality. What does that mean? I haven't seen any advantages. What am I missing? Can't see any difference in the limited range of apps that I use.

I've also noticed that apps are a little bit slower certainly to log into compared with previous. When I say improved functionality, although I've had hardly any experience, what I mean is that there were so many apps that were no longer supported and not updated on Snow Leopard that it forced my hand even though I felt very comfortable with it. In a sense improved functionality seems to mean keeping up with the upgrades in order not to lose functionality. That may be a little harsh, and I am sure more experienced users will put both of us right.

There are user-facing improvements in High Sierra but they are relatively detailed (see this Apple page for details). The biggest things are to enable future features, notably APFS but that is currently only really relevant to Macs with SSDs, not spinning hard drives.

Upgrading to APFS gives SSDs (but not HDs, though this is disputed) more speed and gives partitioned drives more flexibility (there's no fixed division of who can take unused disk space). There are also new, more efficient, formats for images and video as well as more efficient tools for the display (ie Metal 2) plus foundations for Augmented/Virtual Reality.

I've long thought (though have no proof) that a Mac will never work more efficiently than with the OS it shipped with. As Apple release new versions, whilst they are compatible with older machines, they do seem to put a strain on older hardware as they're designed to work with the latest.

Mick, your last post makes perfect sense. Hopefully see you next week at the Salisbury meeting. I decided overnight (over a nice glass of wine) that I'd run the upgrade to High Sierra, then try to upgrade all the other apps, so that's my next project.

Ah, all is revealed by Tony and Mick. The link to 'Apple page' answers my queries, thanks Tony. Apologies to Jola for coming into this thread. Good luck with HS and upgrading the other apps. Btw - I like the HS opening page image on the link but then they break continuity by using the Matterhorn for the HEVC section.

Upgrade to High Sierra went more smoothly, though a lengthy process for me. 4hrs 40min to download HS, another hour or so to install, then had two other upgrades that the App Store suggested and that took another 3 hours thereabouts, so been at this all day on and off ...

I do have one question. There's an odd ? in my dock at the bottom of my screen. The description says "Install OS X El Capitan" but why when I have moved on from that version of the operating system? Many thanks for any light you can shed on this and whether I need to do anything (or just ignore it). PS the iPhoto update all of a sudden disappeared tonight from my App Store Updates tab which I'm taking as a positive thing.

The question mark denotes an application (or alias) that was on your dock but can no longer be found. The standard procedure is for the installer to be placed in the applications folder once downloaded and run from there (although you could drag it to the dock to create the alias and run it from there). After installation the installer is deleted hence it now can't be found.

Can I get rid of it? Or is it just a case of ignoring it. When I upgraded to El Capitan I just followed the on screen instructions; I don't remember dragging anything anywhere, but who knows ...

Just drag it off the dock and let go.

When I migrated my Lion apps to my new iMac running High Sierra they transferred surprisingly well, those that did not need to be updated just carried on working, those that needed updating were indicated in the App Store and a surprising few did not work and could not be updated. In the case of IMovie and iMovie HD, these were declared as unable to be updated but a new version of iMovie appeared in my Applications folder.

Feed