Feed

Mail failing to send

Outgoing messages have suddenly got stuck in the Outbox. A Pop-up says, "Cannot send message using the server SMTP". Connection Doctor shows "Connection and login to server succeeded", for Main Account and for iCloud. Have quit Mail and reloaded but no go. System Prefs show Wi-Fi Connected. Any suggestions?
Am using Mail v9.3 with OS 10.11.6 El Capitan on my iMac.

Re: Mail failing to send

PS. Have restarted the iMac and switched the router off and on but still no go.

PPS. Looking at Mail - Prefs - Accounts
Under Account Info - 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is OFFline.
Could this be the problem and if so, how do I get it Online?

This morning Mail is working! Overnight I shut down so things have been happening whilst asleep. All I can see that is different to last evening is the SMTP setting, in Mail Prefs, has changed to 'iCloud'.

The outgoing server for Apple accounts will probably be fine for Apple email addresses but I doubt Apple will let you send email via its servers using a non Apple address. Have you tried your mail account?

Connection Doctor should show connections to the incoming and outgoing servers for each account separately so you could have a green for incoming on your main account but red for outgoing whilst both Apple ones would be green. Is that what you have or are all four now green?

There are 3 accounts showing on Mail Connection Doctor and all are 'Green'.
Main Account - IMAP, iCloud - IMAP, iCloud - SMTP.
Mail has been OK, both outgoing and incoming for 24 hours. 😊

There should be two accounts each with two servers - incoming (yours say IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP). It looks as if your main account SMTP is missing. But that implies the iCloud SMTP is allowing you to send using a non-Apple address which it used not to but perhaps Apple have changed their policy.

Thanks Mick. I learn something every time something goes wrong!😳

Feed