Feed

New 'pop up' in Mail

When I delete a message in Mail (v 9.3) this 'pop up' appears:
"An error occurred while moving messages to mailbox “(null)”.
This is a new one to me but fortunately, Mail continues to operate without a problem. (On iMac with OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6). Should I just ignore the pop up and hope it goes away?

Re: New 'pop up' in Mail

Do you have more than one account? Do you use both POP and IMAP? Does it only happen with an IMAP account? Is the IMAP account set to delete or archive "deleted" mail?

It sounds as if Mail has lost track of which mailbox it's supposed to move deleted mail to for that IMAP account.

There are 3 accounts in Mail prefs: iCloud, which has "IMAP (inactive)" in the Accounts column, Main Account... IMAP and POP Account.
I am not sure which account was active when the pop up appeared but in view of your comments Mick, I sent a message via each account just now and find the new pop up appears when deleting the one sent via POP account.
A few days ago, when I clicked the 'send' arrow, messages started to go to the 'Out' box so I changed accounts and off they went. Am ashamed to admit that I didn't record the accounts change! It seems that I caused the new pop up to occur. The POP account has not been 'ticked' to move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox. I guess that must be the problem.

After a discussion in detail with Mick about the account settings and adding a tick to one of them, problem solved! Many thanks Mick.

Feed