Feed

Marking Junk Mail in Sierra

Prior to Sierra, if a genuine message fell foul of the junk mail filter, there was an option to mark it as not junk. Now this option has become 'move to inbox'. I preferred the previous function - it enabled me to tell the filter that it had got it wrong, then read and delete the message, while still reviewing the Junk mailbox. Since these messages almost always have HTML content which the Junk mail filter suppresses, I now have to move the message to the inbox (which seems to 'unjunk' it sometimes?), then go back to the inbox and find it again in order to read and delete it.

Can this 'improvement' be reversed?

Re: Marking Junk Mail in Sierra

Deleted reply

Ok, so it's just me then :(

Sorry Trevor, I use different settings so I can't offer an opinion.

I have my Junk set to still arrive in the Inbox (but flagged as Junk) so I see it without looking in the Junk folder. I don't think the behaviours there have changed.
I am very protective of my E-Mail addresses and Virgin's filtering seems pretty good so I don't (currently, long may it continue) get too much anyway.

There's an alternative Trevor.

MailboxManager (available from the App Store) looks to see what's waiting for you on the server and you can delete junk before it ever reaches your machine. Just set Mail to download manually and click Get Mail after MailboxManager has deleted the unwanted.

Hmm, might have a look at those options sometime. At the moment though, it is only a minor niggle. Much more annoying is the tendency for Safari to lock up the iMac, necessitating a power button shutdown and restart. I've had a look at the plugins, uninstalled Silverlight etc., but with no success.

When the next OS release comes along, I'll have to (at last!) follow Euan's advice and do a clean install in the hope of fixing it. Meanwhile, I might just switch to Firefox for a few months. Somehow, I'm beginning to feel that I have more and more in common with Windows users. . . 🙁

Trevor, we have Safari lock-ups as you describe here too (on Jane's iMac but not my MBP).

I too have been through plug-ins and extensions, cleared cache and history, all with no success (the frequency may have reduced). I am forbidden to clear all of Safari's saved data. I have also checked the HD and soak-tested the RAM lest it's a hardware problem.

So I'm pleased that someone else has it too, makes it less likely to be hardware and more likely to be fixed. However, I'm getting short of ideas so, when you solve it, please share.

Thanks, Tony. This is off topic, but it's my thread anyway so. . .
Selecting 'installed plugins' from the help menu yields the following:

"AdobeAAMDetect
A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine. — from file “AdobeAAMDetect.plugin”.
MIME Type Description Extensions
application/x-adobeaamdetect A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
Google Earth Plug-in
The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser. — from file “Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin”.
application/geplugin Google Earth browser plugin
iPhotoPhotocast
iPhoto6 — from file “iPhotoPhotocast.plugin”.
application/photo iPhoto 700
Shockwave Flash
Shockwave Flash 24.0 r0 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”.
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf

Since I suspect that the cause of the problem may be historical, my eye was caught by the iPhoto plugin. Is this still needed now iPhoto is long gone? The file has a date of August 2009 so it's hard to believe it is still current.

Yes, we had the iPhoto plug-in too, I assumed it was no longer useful and deleted it.

Good news: no apparent damage done.
Bad news: no apparent improvement in Safari's stability.

Thanks Tony. I noticed that in The same folder there were a couple of other files with dates around 2010. I think I might try getting rid of all of those and see what happens. At the moment I'm using Firefox. However, Mary (who has a separate account on the same iMac) continues to use Safari without problems so I believe that points to the problem being somewhere in my Library.

Tentatively, we have had some success with a fix specific to iMacs from c.2010 (already passed to Trevor). I won't repeat it here as it is a bit of a last resort but we have had no Safari crashes since applying it about a week and a half ago.

If anyone needs it, please post or E-Mail.

Feed