Feed

How do I create a NEW email address?

I want to create a New email address to use with a website.
I tried on the MacBook and got nowhere, so then I tried on the iPhone via Settings, Mail, Accounts, add Account.

I pick iCloud and pick an email address I want and then put in my AppleId Password then it tells me:-
Verification failed - Your AppleID or password is incorrect.

So, I then put in my AppleID email and the password and it then tells me that this is Already Added.
I am stuck in a loop
Please help.
Jeanette

Re: How do I create a NEW email address?

You can't just create an email address all by yourself - you need to "agree" it with someone who will provide the service. If you want to use an iCloud address, you first have to "clear" it with Apple i.e. you have to set up a new Apple ID with a new password and have it linked to that. Similarly, if you want a gmail address you have to log on to Google and create an address before you enter those same details in Mail on laptop or mobile device.

Hi Mick, I see where I've gone wrong now :-)
I did try again last night and have now got a new iCloud address, but I had to change the AppleID as you mentioned.
So now, I don't know what is the correct Apple ID.
I managed to set up the new email in Mail on iPhone and iPad, but the MacBook doesn't want to know, hey ho!
I'll have to see if anyone at the Fareham meeting on 14th can steer me in the right direction.
Thanks for replying. Jeanette

A small, but possibly important point: purchases that you have made from the App store(s) which mean that you "own the app for life" are tied to whichever Apple ID you used when you made the purchase. If you then use a different Apple ID those purchases won't be available to refresh if needed, although using the previous ID should re-enable them. Maybe worth checking with Apple...

Your ISP may allow you to create variants of your original ISP email account for example
[undisclosed email] or [undisclosed email]

would this be sufficient for your needs?

Thanks Lionel. I have managed to create a new email address and this is solely for use with my website. Thanks for replying, Jeanette

Thanks Euan, this 2nd email is purely for use with my website so there shouldn't be a problem with App purchases.Thanks for the reply. Jeanette

I'll explain more on Saturday at the meeting if needed but what Euan was saying is that for dealing with anything you've bought (even if it was free) from Apple using your original Apple ID, you will need to continue to use that same ID when asked for it. If you won't use the new ID for anything other than the email you can just always use the old one for everything - except the new email.

Thanks Mick. See you Saturday.

Sorry to be late to this discussion.

If by "to use with a website" you mean you don't want some third-party website to have your 'real' E-Mail address then there is a potentially easier way. Rather than creating a new Apple Id with the subsequent hassle of switching between two accounts, you can create a second address in your existing Apple account.

It's actually better than that: you set up what Apple calls an alias to your e-mail address and supply that to third parties; they don't know that it's not a real address. The mail they send you ends up in your inbox in the normal way but, when you've finished communicating with them, you turn off the alias until you need it again. Anyone spamming the (alias) address just gets told that it doesn't exists - serves them right!

Apple explains it here
An overall description is here

[Disclaimer: I haven't tried this ;-) ]

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried this. Years ago I created a Yahoo mail account for just these purposes. It worked, inasmuch as it has kept my .mac address largely spam-free, but the trouble is I am now signed up to so many sites using the Yahoo address that it attracts oodles of junk daily and the challenge of replacing it is too daunting. If I could create site-specific aliases to another address, then maybe I could begin the task of weaning myself off the Yahoo address.

All of this reminds me of my time as a research student when we were bombarded with so-called technical journals which in fact were 90% advertising. We would send off for free samples from time to time (I think I've still got the bottle of degreaser and a few other things 40yrs later!) Of course, taking up these offers ran the risk of attracting yet more junk mail so a colleague hit on the idea of styling his name differently each time - he had two middle names so plenty of scope for variations in use of initials, full names etc. - the idea being to see where subsequent mail shots had originated from. Unfortunately, he lacked the discipline to keep appropriate records so the scheme was a spectacular failure.

Jeanette is now sorted. She wanted a "real" email address which she will use long term for communication originating from her own web site - she was not trying to create an address for temporary use and to avoid spam.

Feed