Feed

Sierra and Gutenprint

Having finally got around to doing the Sierra update on our iMac, I got a message that Gutenprint is not compatible with Sierra. A simple Spotlight search didn't turn up anything by that name, so a bit of research identified Gutenprint as a generic printer driver.

I've no idea when and how this software may have entered the iMac, but our current Epson printer still seems to be working okay. Is it necessary or advisable to remove Gutenprint (there's an uninstaller on the SourceForge website) or should I leave well enough alone?

And before Euan asks, no, I didn't do a clean install of Sierra - but I did make and test a bootable clone of the El Capitan installation before doing the update so hopefully I'll be let off with a caution.

Re: Sierra and Gutenprint

If you have printer drivers supplied by the printer's manufacturer, I don't think you need it. I suspect that it's quite old - you might like to check some file date stamps. There's a useful Wikipedia entry here.

A matter of taste as to whether you remove it or not. I would but there is also a lot to be said for leaving well alone!

Thanks for the posting Trevor. The update is on my list of 2017 resolutions. Could you say how long it took, approximately, please?

I have over 600GB on the iMac internal drive so the longest step by far was creating the bootable clone (about 8hrs). The update itself, as far as I recall, took about 90mins - then another 4 hrs to do the first time machine backup afterwards.

Tony, I don't know where the Gutenprint files are so I think I'll forget about it. After the update I felt like I was negotiating a minefield in order not to accidentally sign up to iCloud Keychain, Two Factor Authentication, Documents and Desktop in the cloud etc. Actually, having read a bit more about it, I might give in to Two factor authentication because I fear that if I don't, I'll be asked my 'secret' questions instead - and I've long forgotten them!

I gave in on two-factor authentication too, mostly because I know that I should. When you log in, it sends you in a merry circle as you find another of your devices and copy from there the numerical code needed to complete the log-in on the first device.

I must remember to stop carrying my MacBook and iPad in the same bag...

Thanks Trevor. I have 650 GB on the iMac so about 90 mins is ok if/when I decide to update. I keep a bootable external drive updated weekly using SuperDuper so that will save time. Your other comments and those of Tony, plus other problems I have seen mentioned, make me wonder if I should stay with El Capitan until I get a new iMac, possibly in 2018. Wondering what advantages Sierra would give me on this old iMac (mid 2010) and if there are overwhelming reasons to update now?

Personally, I don't see any 'must have's in Sierra, but do peruse Apple's list of the new features and decide for yourself.

Although I do try to let new releases settle for a while before taking the plunge, I don't like to get too far behind in the interests of maintaining good relations between the old iMac (similar age to yours) and the more modern iOS devices in the household.

Unfortunately, Because of its need to stay in front in the technology race, Apple has a track record of calling time on a well used app or interface (think iWeb, Optical drives, iDisk, FireWire, iPhoto, iDVD, AppleWorks etc.) in order to clear the decks for some major shift in development. Sometimes an app is replaced with a new one which can take many years to approach the functionality of the one it replaced (iPhoto/Photos, iMovie/iMovie, AppleWorks/Pages/Numbers etc.) sometimes they take the wrong course and just start again (MobileMe, Newton). Apropo of which, wasn't there a thing called something like two step verification or before two factor authentication came along?

I will look in more detail at the new features in Sierra before I update. Thanks again.

The 'must have' for me in Sierra was the bug fixes - greater reliability and speed-ups - that it brings. Spotlight is much faster and Bluetooth more reliable. The speed-ups may be of more value to those using rotating hard drives, SSDs probably manage to mask some of the (excessive) slowdowns that have appeared recently.

If you're not suffering from these then it may be less urgent. However ... Sierra does bring higher definition colour (more levels) support that will become valuable to photographers as application programs adopt it.

Thanks Tony. Am now 'sold' on doing the update, sooner rather than later.

Feed