Feed

Best Guide to the Apple

My brother has asked for a book to help him understand the Apple OS system and/or standard application programmes. He upgraded from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. (Whether he will upgrade to Sierra I don't know).

He has already told me not to buy the XXXXX for Dummies series.

Re: Best Guide to the Apple

This may be a silly reply but a lot of people miss the fact that Apple provides a 'proper' user manual for each Mac/OS version combination. They're not 'proper' in the paper sense but they're well written PDFs, running to many pages.

RTFM indeed, starting here.

Re: Best Guide to the Apple

In addition to Tony's Apple manuals, O' Reilly are due to have their "macOS Sierra: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue and his team out in December if all goes well. It will be available in Paperback, and PDF/eBook formats.

This is the latest in the venerable series; they have been the only books that are useful in getting to grips with OSX/macOS beyond the simple basics. All the others I have seen run out of juice just when you need serious information. All are written with good humour for the non-geek, and are worth a look here.

A fairly large chunk of the book can be explored through the "Look Inside" PDF provided.

Feed