Feed

Yahoo Email

Do you use a Yahoo email address and access it using a browser rather than Apple Mail? I came across someone who does and is frustrated by what I think is extra security measures Yahoo have put in place following security issues. I'm looking for a way round so this lady can cope again!

Re: Yahoo Email

I use Yahoo mail and access my mail through Apple Mail with no problems

I do Mick, using Firefox. Yahoo started messing about some time ago which made me fuming mad. I started using El Capitan on my external drive for this reason. Trouble is I can't remember what I did apart from being forced to think up a new password. It does seem to be alright now, even on the original drive using Firefox on Mountain Lion.

I'll describe what's happening.

When she tries to log in using a browser on her laptop, she fills in her email address (actually, Safari fills that in for her) and clicks next. I was expecting to be asked for the password but no, Yahoo have sent a notification to her iPad. I've had to show her what notifications are and how to access them. It asks if she's trying to log in and she has to tap yes. That's fine if she has her iPad with her - well, it's not fine, it's a pain but it's usable. If she clicks on "I don't have access to my iPad" it then tries her phone. If she says she doesn't have access to that either it goes on to ask security questions.

I had to laugh as the first question it asked was "what's the first name of your oldest neice?" She was positive she'd never told Yahoo she had a nice let alone her name - a very common response in my experience - but the name she supplied was correct! Yahoo are obviously psychic or have a worrying amount of data about us all ;-)

Eric - can you remember if this was the sort of "messing about" you had and if so, how you reverted to the old system? I assume it was something you altered at Yahoo.

I too have had issues with Yahoo over the last year or more. I think it all started when they got rid of the yahoo.co.uk servers so even those of us with co.uk addresses had to use the Yahoo.com servers. Then there was a security breach and we had to change passwords. There might have been a third aggravation but the upshot was that for many months I couldn't send mail from my Yahoo address from my iMac using the Yahoo server. I could send via the Plusnet server but a couple of mailing groups blocked the messages, presumably due to suspicions of spoofing.

Meanwhile, I was able to send mail from my iPad via the Yahoo server without any issues and the iMac problem was eventually solved when, after setting up the account on a new iPad without problem, I plucked up the courage to delete the account from the iMac and start all over again.

Throughout all this, I did access Yahoo mail via Safari occasionally, without any particular difficulty. However, I have always refused Yahoo's invitations to upgrade security, and I'd be most upset if Yahoo even knew I had an iPad or iPhone! It sounds like in your case some form of two factor authentication may be in play?

If you read the bit about her niece above you'll see why I didn't ask if she'd accepted upgraded security!

If I log into Yahoo Mail on my Mac, I first get my email address appear in a box and below is another box which says continue which I click, and my password is filled in automatically. I click the sign in box and mail opens

Hi Mick,no, my trouble wasn't as bad as that, but then I haven't got any gadgets apart from the Mac. It did keep asking me stupid 'security' questions but I just stopped using it on the main drive (Mountain Lion)and used the external Capitan drive. Yahoo acquired a new bimbo chief exec a while ago and she obviously decided to show those mere men how to run an organisation!
'They pray with upstretched hands
to some god of abstract justice
that no woman understands'.
Rudyard Kipling — The Female of the Species.

I expect they offered her increased security and she just accepted. It would drive me mad! I take it you haven't been offered that Doug - or you wisely said "no thanks".

I haven't been asked about more security but I do change the passwords at times

I changed my password a short while ago and then recently I tried to access yahoo mail (as a result of this thread) and it said that it didn't recognise the email address or password. Fortunately I seldom have any use for it so I have abandoned yahoo mail

AHA! I just accessed Yahoo mail and a pop up announced: Eric, turn off less secure access to your in box. Please disable non-yahoo apps that use less secure sign in methods from accessing Yahoo Mail. Not doing so may leave your account vulnerable to compromise. Learn more, turn off access, No, I know the risks.
This is what I've been getting for a long time, intermittently. I always click on the last option as I see no reason to trust the bounders.

Feed