Feed

new mini?

I'm considering a new mini, with dual core i5, turbo boosted 3.1GHz and 8GB ram. Would this be a significant upgrade from my present mini, with 2.26 GHz core 2 duo, and 6GB of ram? My main interest is messing about with largish files in Affinity Designer. I was trying to assemble three files in AD yesterday totaling 1850 MBs and it refused to do more than two of them. I had to convert them to PDFs and then assemble those.

Re: new mini?

Hi Eric. Sounds as though you were helped by whichever PDF format you chose 'slimming down' some graphic element (probably something in raster format) to a less demanding size. Have you downloaded Affinity Designer 1.5.1 yet? It fixes a number of errant bugs, and 1.5.2 is due very soon, hot on its heels. Do you also use Affinity Photo which is better adapted to raster?

Re: new mini?

Hi Euan, I did have the free trial of Affinity Photo but I'm not really a photographer so I didn't see the point of it. You're right about the graphic elements though. They are the outers of three book covers and each contains about 20 different bits and pieces.
They did invite me to download the 1.5 upgrade but I declined. I downloaded the 1.4.2 upgrade recently and found it was a nightmare so I managed to go back to 1.3.5 . I imagine its because I'm using Mountain Lion but I've no intention of upgrading that until I'm forced to.

Feed