Feed

Safari won't open

Not sure how I caused it but I can't get Safari to open on my iMac since last night. It seems to have happened since I downloaded an OS update for El Capitan, which got stuck installing and it now doesn't show in software updates, so it's probably not installed . Double clicking to open Safari has no effect. I don't have any other web browser installed, so iPad mini is being pressed into service.
Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks

Re: Safari won't open

Are you running Safari 10.0 that is the latest out two days ago before sierra came out

You could try running the Combo Update for 10.11.6 - Combo Update

Yes I am running Safari 10.0, Doug
How do I download the combo update without being able to use a web browser Mick - I'm probably missing something basic here!!

Hee hee - try Firefox or Chrome. Don't tell me, you haven't got either of those! If you click that link on the iPad, the "Download" changes to "Email Download Link" so even that's no good as clicking the link would try to launch Safari.

I think you're going to have to use your Time Machine or other backup to go back to an older version then update again.

David - I've just sent you the Firefox Disc Image but to your "me.com" email address using Mail Drop in Mail. Let me know if it doesn't arrive.

An update on where I am at. Having downloaded the El Capitan Combo update and Mick talking me through using Time Machine to go back to a version of Safari that worked, I was confident I would get somewhere - big mistake. The Combo update gets stuck when I try to install it, saying 'verifying Combo update' but nothing happens even after 5 mins. - I've checked the package with Disc Utility and it checks out ok.
With Time Machine when I have selected Safari from a previous back up and click Restore, I get a message that Safari can't be modified or deleted as it is required by the OS, so currently I'm rather stuck both ways.
As I'm off for my hols. later today I probably won't get chance to look at it further until I get back but thanks to Mick I have at least got a working web browser.Ho hum!

If your Mac will run Sierra I would update to that when you come back, I have updated over El Capitan and it is running very well and Safari runs very well on that I did have it have hanging on El Capitan.

There are enough strange incidents in this thread that I suggest a quick disk check. It's a little paranoid but possible that a crash somewhere has caused some damage. Do this before the other actions suggested above.

Just launch Disk Utility (from Utilities or type its name into Spotlight), ensure that your HD is selected in the sidebar (probably the second entry down) and click First Aid. It may take a minute or two and then DU will report back on the state of your disk; as long as it gets to OK, whether or not it makes any repairs along the way, you're alright.

After my hols. a final update on this thread! Installing Sierra did the job and Safari opened fine so now I'm back up and running and with Firefox as a fallback, so thanks everyone for their help, especially Doug and Mick. BTW I had run Disk Utility - First Aid, which showed no issues but thanks for suggesting this Tony.

Yes, thanks Tony. I thought it sounded like a good wheeze with the possibility of curing my problems so I had a go. The disk itself was fine but then I clicked Verify Permissions which showed at least half of them to be wrong. So I Repaired Permissions which took ages, and did not repair all of them, which seemed curious, but I left it for the time being to see if there was any improvement. We shall see.

Feed