Feed

Upgrading from 10.6.8

I have reached the point where I have to upgrade the os 10.6.8 on my iMac and would like a step-by-step guide on how to do this. I have searched this forum and see many discussions on the subject but can someone please point me to the 'idiots' guide needed.

Re: Upgrading from 10.6.8

A member sent me a link which is just what I need and am working on it:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2052602/get-your-mac-ready-for-mavericks-os-x-10-9.html

With people I've helped after the upgrade from 10.6.8 there have been two things of note:

1) they've found out the hard way that PowerPC programs no longer work

2) Older machines, even with 4GB memory can appear much slower than they were with Snow Leopard.

Thanks Mick for two points relevant to my situation. They are making me rethink about installing Mavericks. I started considering the upgrade because after buying a new camera, an Olympus OM-D E-10, I found that my main processing software, Lightroom 4, would not open the Raw files. I then thought the Adobe DNG Converter would overcome the problem but I find that requires at least OS 10.7. I have spent quite a time on the Adobe site trying to see if I can obtain an older version of the DNG converter that would run on OS 10.6.8 but with no success so far. It seems that a new camera can mean not only an OS upgrade but also new software which I don't need. Perhaps someone knows a work-around for this problem.

Further thoughts are: since my iMac is four years old and I use mostly out-of-date software I should continue with OS 10.6.8 and either shoot jpegs or use the Olympus Viewer software that came with the new camera. Both not fully satisfactory but workable solutions.

Life with an Apple product implies that your will be nudged onto new equipment as Cupertino design death into your existing machine. This could be Apples message to you to go out and get a newer machine.

Checkout what is available at Jigsaw24, or the Apple Refurb store or e-Bay

Thank you Derek. It seems that I will have to consider new equipment sooner rather than later but I don't feel ready to jump yet and neither does my budget since upgrading software will also be required. It's a high penalty for buying a new camera!

The EM10 has a good reputation re the OOC Jpegs.

Do you follow the
http://e-group.uk.net

forums, quite a good body of Olympus m4/3rds users on there.

If you are prepared to import from the US
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/specialsLD2014

has some potentially interesting products. If you have a contact visiting the US who could bring one home for you after it has been delivered to their hotel/apartment etc.

Many thanks for the links Derek. I have followed them up and joined the E-M10 forum. Have also had a rethink about upgrading to Mavericks and, thanks to a helpful member, I hope to have it installed next week. It will then be time to break the budget on processing software, providing it supports Raws from the OM10.

There's nothing wrong with having one machine running an old OS and another running the latest if it suits your needs. I do just that!

Roy - are you rayton ??

Yes Derek on the Olympus forum. Btw, Mavericks was installed today so I can now process Raws from the OM-D.

After OS 10.9.4 was installed I am pleased to say that Lightroom 5 now works on Raw images from my new Olympus OM-D10 camera. Even the old Photoshop CS5.1 software works and so does Bridge. Overall I am very pleased with the upgrade. Many thanks for all the helpful comments here. Roy

You can use Preview to view the RAW files and convert them to Jpegs etc as well as editing the files.

That's good to know Derek thanks but for now my old workflow via Lightroom is working well.

Feed