Feed

Skype. Alleged update

I received email which appeared to be from Skype that asked me to update because it is "retiring older versions" which allegedly I use. The user name quoted in the email was correct except I used 2 capital letters when registering but perhaps their system ignores them.

However........ when I fired up Skype rather than use the link in the email, an update check said I am fully uptodate. (Skype subsequently confirmed this) Hence I had reason to doubt that the email was genuine??

So I contacted Skype giving them the senders email address and the time of the message (01.42 hrs). After over an hour (!) and with 3 separate persons dealing, eventually I got to this reply........................ "You may disregard that e- mail that we sent you. This is actually to inform our customers that we're retiring the older versions of the Skype app across all the devices, and encourage them to update to the latest version.

I told them I thought the scatter gun rather than targeted approach left much to be desired. Their chat contacts are by Microsoft...........ugh.

Feed