Feed

Buying MacBook Air - avoiding old kit

My sister is about to buy a MacBook Air from Currys.
How can she tell if they are selling her the latest model - I have noticed older kit being sold in the past?
I have looked at the specs and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing it. What have I missed?

Re: Buying MacBook Air - avoiding old kit

Install Mactracker on your machine, this will be a reference of all Macs that been made, it might be slightly out of date if there has been a new product announcement.

Look up the model of Mac that you are thinking of buying and note the Model Identifier, Model Number and the various properties of the machine that you think you are buying.

Then on the machine that you think that you are buying, go into the System Information and check the Hardware Overview section to determine Model Identifier.

On the underside of the MacBook there is the Model Number also look on the barcode labels on the shipping box and the white box the computer is delivered in.

From examining all this information you can have a good chance of identifying the machine.

Once you have access to the machine, install Mactracker on it and it will help identify the machine.

If the dealer is not prepared to let you get this information then be suspicious.

I never buy current models, I buy the previous model for a discount from Jigsaw24 in Nottingham , if the model mets my needs. I have had some good discounts from them.

Looking quickly at the Curry's site, the specs look the same as on Apple's site unless it's a refurbished machine and running either Mountain Lion or even Lion which would be obvious.

The checks Derek suggests are very thorough but could only be performed on the display machine prior to a boxed example being brought out from the back. I wouldn't be suspicious of them not allowing the unpacking of a new machine to perform these tests! Just go by the information on the sealed box.

Great help - thank you both very much!
I will pass it on.

Feed