Feed

Safari

I have found that Safari keeps freezing when I try and swipe between pages. Has anyone else come across this if so what is the fix

Re: Safari

Hi Doug, assuming you have done the usual Disk Utility checks just in case, try to move windows back and forth using the little arrows at the to left of the Safari window. If these work then you should check your System Preferences > Trackpad to make sure that the swipe gesture is enabled (settings can very occasionaly go awry).

Sometimes we don’t Swipe properly — yes! You can tell this by seeing the next/previous page appearing very briefly and then disappearing. Swipes need to be a quick, but also a long distance flick. It’s a muscle memory thing.

If the arrows don’t work either, you may need to update Java and Safari.
You don’t say which OSX and Safari version you are runnning, but this will apply to recent versions:
Are you running the latest version of Safari (7.0.4)?

Have you installed the latest version of Java? Apple’s security setup sometimes blocks actions until a security update is installed:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572 <

If these don’t help:
Reset Safari > http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17186 <

If still stuck:
Open Safari’s Develop menu into Safari’s top menu bar: Safari > Preferences, click Advanced, then select the checkbox and go to ‘Show Error Console’ etc., and see what turns up there.

If all else fails:
You could re-install OSX from the emergency partition and apply any other updates, but I doubt this will be necessary.
Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your reply Euan, I solved the problem by applying the 10.9.3 combo update and all is working now. I tried all the usual things,preferences,repair permissions, checked system preferences for the track pad, the arrows in the top worked alright but as soon as you tried to swipe Safari would freeze.

Once again I have had the problem of Safari freezing every time I try and swipe between pages, I can move between pages if I use the arrows in the top right hand corner. Has anybody else had this problem

Feed