Feed

Wireless network fails to link with TV

I have tried to link our SKY+HD box with our broadband network for viewing "Catch up" and "On Demand" programmes. SKY support took me through the settings but after several attempts they said contact the ISP who are TalkTalk. They said they don't support Netgear routers such as ours (DG834G v3). I tried the router password several times and wonder if our Apple TV device could be causing the problem? Wondering if anyone has experience of making the TV-SKY-router network connection?

Re: Wireless network fails to link with TV

Can I just check you're using the correct password? You say "router password" but what you actually want is the wireless network password. If you know you're using the correct one then I've no idea what's wrong but I can't think of any other reason the Apple TV would not connect.

To check your password, on one of your Macs which connects wirelessly, click the wi-fi icon at the top right of the screen and see the name of the network that has a tick beside it (that's the one you've joined). Now go to your utilities folder and open Keychain Access. In the search box (top right) type the name of your wireless network - you should now see one or more lines containing that. Double click the one with the latest date. In the window that opens, tick the show password option and then in the next window, type your admin password for the computer to prove you're authorised to see it. The password will now display and that's the one you should be using in your Apple TV.

Any problems. phone me.

My daughter had a different but related Talk Talk problem. She does some work from home in the evenings and, working for a bank in an IT related role, she uses a "superior " router. She signed up for YouView with Talk Talk but it wouldn't work in every aspect. The answer from TalkTalk was that unless their (Cheap & nasty, daughter's words not mine) router was used, anybody else's router would lack the coded link.

After many arguments and a partial refund of monies paid, my daughter soldiers on with her YouView even though it's short of some bells and whistles because she insists she must use her better router.

Thank you Mick. I got there! The password was found so I will try to connect to the SKY box later (not Apple TV) and will report back.

Eureka! We have lift off - SKY box now connected to local network thanks to finding the correct password. Many thanks to Mick for the above comments and to member Doug who sent me a link to the Netgear site which also gave instructions to find the password. Another learning experience for me!

Feed