Feed

Another Mail glitch

If you're using Mail 7.1 with Mavericks, I've discovered another change in the way it now works.

In the past, if you were sending mail to a group, as long as "When sending to a group, show all member addresses" was not ticked (in Preferences/Composing) it didn't matter whether the group name was in the To: line, the CC: line or the BCC: line - all members of the group would see that the mail was sent to "Undisclosed Recipients" Now however, even with that option unticked, all recipients see all the addresses unless you type the group name in the BCC: field

If however you open Contacts and right click on the group name and choose "Send email", even though it puts the group name in the To: line, it arrives as having been sent to undisclosed recipients.

Re: Another Mail glitch

Is this with 10.9.1 update applied? Perhaps you can tell us more when the (imminent) 10.9.2 arrives. Both Mavericks updates have been/are being tested extensively for email issues (especially for G-Mail), and it would be good to hear that issues have been resolved. Thanks in advance!

I think that some Mail improvements were made in the Mavericks 10.9.1 update (yes, that's what I'm using) and I think that put Mail to 7.1

It's not a major problem - as you see there are two ways round it but it's very embarrassing when you preach that it's poor etiquette to put dozens of addresses in the To: line so all recipients see all of them and then go and do it yourself! However, I'm not in a position to explain it was a change of behaviour in Mail so I need to take it on the chin!

Sound feller, that young Burrell chap... !

After updating to Mail 7.2 in the upgrade to 10.9.2, I can confirm that the situation has not changed i.e. typing the name of your group in the To: field of the email will allow all recipients to see all addresses regardless of your setting in Preferences. Right clicking on the group name in Contacts does put the group name in the To: field but the mail arrives showing "undisclosed recipients". If you type the name in the BCC: field it arrives with no information at all about who it's been sent to, not even undisclosed recipients.

Feed