Feed

Filing Mail Messages

Having read a message in Mail I drag it to 'Messages seen' under 'ON MY MAC' in the side bar. Above that I find that somehow I have another 'Messages seen' under 'SMART MAILBOXES'. This 'SMART' box files by date with latest at the bottom of the list. The first box files alphabetically under the sender's name. I don't want either method and I don't want 'SMART BOXES'. I prefer one box for 'Messages seen' filed by date with the latest at the top. I can't see how to tidy this up in Preferences or from the Menu bar so any help will be appreciated. Am using an iMac running OS 10.6.8 and Mail is version 4.6.

PS. It goes worse - Having just read the Wags Bulletin from Mick and dragged it to 'Messages seen' it isn't showing in either box! Could the boxes be full?

Re: Filing Mail Messages

Thanks to help from a friend I am tidying up by making sub files. Still on a learning curve and will try to find guidance online.

You can safely delete the Smart Mailbox - it does not contain either a duplicate or the only copy of the mail but rather shows mail that's in other boxes but which match the search criteria.

You can choose which columns to show by using the View menu and Columns. The column currently sorted on will have a blue header. You can sort on any column by clicking its header and reverse that sort order by clicking again.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does help to know that Mick thanks. Things are looking better already. Roy

Feed