Feed

Downloading and saving video from websites

I have just seen a useful looking vid on the MacWorld web-site. I would like to download it to pay close attention to it sometime later. Does anyone know how I might do that?

Re: Downloading and saving video from websites

Try right clicking it and it will give you a menu for down loading

If Doug’s suggestion doesn’t work for you, open Quicktime Player 10.3, and under the File menu select New Screen Recording. This may work with earlier versions, but I don’t remember, sorry.

Click on the red button, select ‘whole screen’ or drag over the part of the screen you want to record. Click Start and then start the film.

When the film has ended, you may have to quit Quicktime 10.3, in Mavericks, as the start-stop dialogue gets lost, but be reassured quitting will bring up the Save dialogue.

Open and trim the film to remove any weirdness at the start and end using the selection tabs. Extra sections of other film can be added (including sound) by copy and paste using the progress marker tab to mark where the paste goes (not just at the start and end but elsewhere too).

The audio track is laid down using the Mac’s speakers, so if you want audio along with the film, adjust your sound levels to your liking and make sure extraneous sounds (sneezes, dog barking, radio, TV, family) are toned down.

For your first trial don’t forget to edit a copy, not the original recording.

I use Firefox (gosh, shock, horror, burn him, he cannot be a proper Mac user etc) and there is a plug in that you can install that enables you to grab videos from YouTube. Most of the Mac mag videos are on YouTube so the plug in works for them. I think that there is also a plugin to download Vimeo videos

Thank you Euan - looks like a lot of work!
And thank you Derek - there seem to be several [749!] add-ons to choose from - which do you favour?

I use
Flash Video Downloader
it adds a button to the video play screen to select he video to download

Website is
http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/

Enjoy

it.

Thanks Derek - I can only see a Windows version - and my ISP has blocked the download. I couldn't find a Mac version.

In Firefox
I got it via Tools, Add-Ons Manager, Get Add ons.

The add on process is a special process within Firefox

Feed